Feb 13, 2015

Installing a top to a mountain.

Recall that this mountain top was built 'off site' to make it easier to build, you will notice from the photos below that where it will be placed is a bit of a challenge to get to easily!.
When we first installed the top we found that we added too much edging and it was wider than the mountain allowed so I cut some off the right edge so it would align with the bottom rocks.
I then added some foam spacers to the base to allow the corner to align better with the walls but
than meant making more of the front part to have larger rocks than I was planning.
As I added the rock ( plaster castings ) to the edge I was not sure this was going to work but the space and the steep angles make me wonder what could I do different than what I was doing.
Working up there and bending over got me worn out after 20 minutes. I called on Burt to bail me out
as he heard me talk on scenery many times. Burt did most of the spackle work between the rocks
to join the rock collection into one piece.
I then encouraged Burt to add some of the "oatmeal" ( a more technical version of paper mache ) to the left slope and cover some of the rock that I installed along the edge of the addition.  Burt also sprinkled some color on the oatmeal to give it some color. Next week I will colorize the rock to look like the grey already there.  The trees will also be cut down as they were too big.

No comments:

Post a Comment