Feb 17, 2018

Fw: We have 2 towers in Spokane....I own one of them!

 
Once upon a time, besides the tower at the Spokane County Courthouse, there was a railroad station
in Spokane called the GN and SP&S station. It had a tower attached to it to let people know where to go
to get on a train to places like Chicago, St. Paul and a sleepy town west of here called Seattle. That's one
of the billboards we purchased to alert the folks as to what was going on.
 
A few railfans and citizens thought the station should be saved
when the city removed the stations from the Riverfront Park Plan
to the Expo "74 plan. I led the fight to save the stations by putting
the issue to a vote of the people. It only got 43 percent favorable.
The city in turn saved the tower. Some called it the "Quinn" tower.
 
After 46 years it has been remembered in the newly remodeled
Quinn building on West Garland Avenue in Spokane by my
lovely daughter Bonnie with this 11 foot 8 inch rendering on the kitchen
wall. My artist of over 20 years Vic Holman points it out to me.
 
There's my little girl now in front of the Quinn building with the
new fountain and fence to keep out the wanderers. The pencil was
my idea some 40 years ago. I'm a lucky man!

No comments:

Post a Comment