Oct 13, 2016

Project Grandson

Hi Guys,
Making foam look like a mountain side.
A grand mother from Spokane wants a 2 foot by 4 foot portable display
made for her grand son who has Dept. 56 collection
and wanted me to build one for him. This is how I did it. Jerry
 
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: Project Grandson
 
This looks amazing!  You are the best!  I can't wait for my grandson to see this masterpiece.  He will be so excited.
I am not able to meet you on Friday but can do it any day next week except Friday.  Please give me a call so we can discuss.
If I bring you the snow can you glue it on for me?  Also, are you going to be able to drill some holes for the electrical cords? 
Thanks, and I look forward to talking to you.  Karen 
 
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 12:19 AM, Jerry Quinn <Jerry@signalsigns.com> wrote:
Hi Karen, Here are a few of the steps I took to get the platform for the eight Dept. 56 buildings.
Figuring out how to do the hillside to accommodate the buildings and allowing a road/trail to connect
all of the buildings to make it believable. I started with 2 " dense blue foam and had it cut with a
bandsaw.
 
I then cast the plaster molds to allow pieces of the detail to be glued to the blue foam and then I
connected them with spackle. Several steps were used in the coloration of the rocks.
I also used my "oatmeal" formula of 2 kinds of insulation, glue, and water to make the contours
for the roadways or the ramps to get to each level. Side panels were also installed.
 
Finally I added ground cover and grey gravel to tie everything together. I purchased 2 handles to make
it easier to move from one place to another because of its size and bulk. If I remember right you said
you had snow to make it a winter scene so we need to glue the snow on if that is your direction.
I will have it at the ad agency at 727 West Garland this Friday afternoon if that fits your schedule.
I hope you and your grandson have lots of pleasure when you complete it with the structures, trees
and people.  Jerry Quinn 939-5845.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment